19.8.10

Love Letters

Does anyone still write Love Letters.
Ive been wondering this for a while, Ive also been looking at Love letters that famous people have written over the years.
Wow some of them are pretty amazing and heart felt.
 To Clara Schmann (1838)
What a heavenly morning! All the bells are ringing; the sky is so golden and clear..and before me lies your letter.
I send you my first kiss, beloved.

Robert Schumann
 How sweet would it be to receive this from your lover, just knowing he was thinking about you.
 
Ive never had a love letter, Ive had letters from friends where they declare there love for me as a friend, but never a letter declaring true love.

I don't want to say I long for this, but it sure would be nice.
I wondered if I left them scattered all over the house, my beloved boyfriend would pick one up and be inspired to write one from his heart just for me.

Oh how I dare to dream

My faviorite love letter is from Mark Twain to his beloved wife.

Livy darling, six years have gone by since I made my first great success in life and won you, and thirty years have passed since Providence made preparation for that happy success by sending you into the world. 
Every day we live together adds to the security of my confidence, that we can never any more wish to be separated than that we can ever imagine a regret that we were ever joined.
You are dearer to me to-day, my child, than you were upon the last anniversary of this birth-day; you were dearer then than you were a year before—you have grown more and more dear from the first of those anniversaries, and I do not doubt that this precious progression will continue on to the end.
Let us look forward to the coming anniversaries, with their age and their gray hairs without fear and without depression, trusting and believing that the love we bear each other will be sufficient to make them blessed.
So, with abounding affection for you and our babies, I hail this day that brings you the matronly grace and dignity of three decades. 
Always yours,
S.L.C.

["Mark Twain" was a nom de plume, Samuel Langhorne Clemens was his given name.]

 Im Such a hopeless romantic

 ♥ Olive
rrsahm
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

  1. We actually do write little notes here. In cards mostly, but sometimes it will be a little "love text" throughout the day, and i often like to write a short and sweet "thankyou for being the great man by my side" note, but this has inspired me to do it more often. You can never tell a loved one enough how much you love them!
    Found your blog via FYBF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Olive, lovely blog! I'm a huge fan of love letters. It makes me sad that our technical age won't allow for archives of love letters. Keeping an email just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel and I have kept every letter and note we've ever written to each other.

    I love this post! I have a soft spot for love letters and have even blogged about them a couple of times.

    Your blog is a lovely find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have love letters from my Hubby still... I like to get them out occasionally and re-read them.

    What a lovely find this blog is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How gorgeous! The (almost) forgotten art of writing a love letter. I used to pen them in my diary to the love of my life. Must pull them out and give them to him. I hope your guy surprises you soon :)

    I want to be in that caravan too.

    Found you from FYBF. I am following x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for all your comments, and for following me, I hope I'm worth following, I sure will try hard to make this interesting :)
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just grabbed my copy of Antonia Fraser's Love Letters to browse through tonight after reading your blog. Love a good love letter. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I read every comment and appreciate your time and the fact that you let me know you were here. ♥