27.8.10

Food of Love Friday

I love to cook for my beloved, everything I cook I tell him it was made with love and its the way to his heart.
He tells me Ive made my way to his heart, and as much as this maybe true I still enjoy telling myself that by cooking for him, I am making a way to his heart.
This recipe has history behind it so I found, I found it in a book some months ago and with most things I try to find some background history on it.
Here's what I came up with
 Watercress Soup
Watercress is frequently mentioned as a foodstuff in the twelfth-century manuscript Agallamh na Seanorach (The Colloquy of the Old Men). Legend has sit that it was watercress that enabled St Brendan to live the ripe old age of 180! In Birr Castle in Co. Offaly, Lord and Lady Rosse still serve a soup of watercress gathered from around St. Brendan's well, just below the castle walls.
  • 3 Tablespoons sweet (unsalted) butter
  • 1 1/4 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1 1/4 cups yellow onion, chopped finely
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
  • 2 1/2 cups creamy milk
  • 2 bunches of chopped watercress (remove the coarse stalks)
Method:
Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan. When it foams, add the potatoes and onions and toss until well coated. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover the pan and sweat the vegetables over low heat for 10 minutes.
Add the stock and milk, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes and onions are soft.
Add the watercress and boil with the lid off for approximately 4 to 5 minutes until the watercress is cooked. It will taste soft and tender.
Do not overcook or the soup will loose its fresh green color.
Puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
Taste and add a little more salt and pepper if necessary.
♥ Olive
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. So Watercress is the secret to longevity! I love that you have found a little bit of history to this ingredient! What a great idea

    Your beloved is very lucky to be cooked a meal with such love

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I read every comment and appreciate your time and the fact that you let me know you were here. ♥