20.8.10

Food Of Love Friday




 I was looking through some old cookbooks my Grandma gave my mother years ago which she in returned passed on to me.

Back in my grandma's day they use to produce cookbooks they were called  community cookbooks, printed compilations of recipes representing the collective culinary achievements of home cooks. Published cheaply and distributed locally since the mid-1800s, the books were created by groups of women to raise money for their social clubs, churches, or charities of choice.

Flicking through the yellowed, stained pages I find familiar dishes, such as Caesar salad and banana nut bread.

There is also some eyebrow-raisers, such as Japanese Fruit Pie (nothing remotely Japanese about this recipe) There is American Beauty Cake (which includes instant cocoa mix, wondering if this is still on the grocery store shelves). Each recipe speaks both to the era in which it was enjoyed and the values, trends, and regional tastes of the woman who wrote it.

I got thinking about recipes my mother would make when I was growing up.
One of many that I still enjoy today I will share with you.

My mother always said it's the way to a mans heart, never did understand this until I cooked my beloved boyfriend this recipe.

Rhubarb Crumble Pie

  • 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
  • 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb stalks
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • Few drops red food coloring, optional.
  • Topping:
  • 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preparation:

Heat oven to 350°. Prepare pie shell or thaw a frozen pie shell. Trim and rinse the rhubarb stalks. Slice large stalks in half lengthwise. Slice rhubarb stalks crosswise in 1/2 to 1-inch lengths. Combine sliced rhubarb and water in a medium saucepan. In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring until well blended; add to the rhubarb mixture. Stir well and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover but leave the cover ajar to let steam escape and continue simmering for about 5 minutes, or just until tender. If desired, add a little red food coloring to make the filling more colorful. Spoon filling into the prepared pie shell.
With a pastry blender or fingers, combine the topping ingredients until blended and crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the pie. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until topping is browned and the filling is bubbly.

 *Optional along with the Rhubarb you can add strawberries, you just don't need to pre-cook them.






 Have a wonderful and blessed weekend.

♥ Olive

2 comments:

  1. Hi...I'm linking over from Multiple Mum's blog...

    I LOVE old cookbooks! I have ones that belonged to both my grandmothers and my mom. I love paging through to see some of their notes...who liked what, what changed they made...it's like a little slice of family history.

    And that rhubarb pie looks delish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing this recipe xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I read every comment and appreciate your time and the fact that you let me know you were here. ♥